Windows XP Setup Walkthrough
New Service Set Up
STEP 1: Accessing Dial-up Connections
- Click on the [Start] button
- Click on [All Programs]
- Click on [Accessories]
- Click on [Communications]
- Choose [New Connection Wizard] from the menu
If you have never specified a dial-up connection in Windows XP
before, you will now see a window labeled "Location Information" like the one
below. If you do not see this window, skip to Step 2.
- Specify the values appropriate to your location in the blanks for
"country/region" and "area code"
- Click [OK] to continue.
- At the next window, labeled "Phone and Modem Options",
click [OK] to continue.
STEP 2: Using the New Connection Wizard
- The New Connection Wizard will now appear.
- Choose "Connect to the Internet", then click
- Choose "Set up my connection manually", then click
- Choose "Connect using a dial up modem", then click
- Type "Your ISP Name" for the connection name, then click
Remember to verify with your local phone Operator that the
number you'll be calling is local, not toll.
- Enter the phone number you've chosen to connect with, then click
- Select the appropriate use for this connection, then click
on the connection icon with your Right hand Mouse-button.
- Click once in the User name field and type your
username. (The first part of your email address with us.)
- Click once in the Password field and type your
password. Click in the Confirm password field and type it again.
- If the computer you are setting up is used by people other than
yourself who should not have access to your account, remove the check from the box labeled
"Use this account..."
- Click [Next] to continue, then click on [Finish].
is a guide for users to check their dial-up networking settings with Windows XP.
To get to the 'dial-up networking' folder, first Click on the "start" button
then click on
"control panel" then "network
You should now have the 'Network connections'
Connection that you have made.
1.To access the settings of this
connection, Right click
Then select 'Properties' from the menu that drops down
2.You should now
have the Properties window open. Make
sure that your phone number is correct for your area.
on the 'options" tab.
Make sure your settings match those shown above.
4.Click on the
Make sure that your settings match those shown
above, and that 'interactive logon and scripting' is NOT ticked.
5.Click on the 'Networking' tab.
Make sure that the "type of dial-up sever I am calling" is "PPP".
You should confirm that you have Internet protocol (TCP/IP) ticked as well.
(if you cannot see this component in that section you will need to install it before
you will be able to connect to the internet.)
Click on 'Internet Protocol' so it is highlighted. and then click on the 'properties'
6.Make sure that your settings match those shown above.
Click the 'Advanced' button.
This will bring up the Advanced tcp/ip settings window.
7.Ensure your settings match those in the above picture and click on
the 'DNS' tab.
8.There shouldn't be anything entered in either of the above boxes.
Check that your settings match those in the diagram and click 'OK'.
9.Click on the 'Advanced' tab and make sure that the
box is NOT ticked.
10. Click 'OK' to exit the Advanced settings window.
Click 'OK' to exit the tcp/ip settings window.
Then Click 'OK' one more time.
To configure an installed modem:
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
- Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
- On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to configure,
and then click Properties.
- Make any of the following changes:
|Change the speaker volume, maximum
port speed , or wait for a dial tone before
||Click the Modem tab.
|View diagnostic information, including commands supported by your
modem, or view a log of modem activity.
||Click the Diagnostics tab.
|Add extra initialization commands.
||Click the Advanced tab.
|Change call preferences (manual dialing or disconnecting) or data
connection preferences (port
speed , data
protocol , compression
, or flow
||Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change Default
|Change hardware settings (data
bits , parity
bits , or modulation
||Click the Advanced tab, click Change Default
Preferences, and then click the Advanced tab.
- To open Phone and Modem Options, click Start, click Control
Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections. Under See Also,
click Phone and Modem Options.